La Corrida de Toros
Guest blogger! I (Alex) am making my first appearance as a
blogger today. So here we go.
There are a few things integral
to Spain’s culture; a type of dance called flamenco, ham or jamon, soccer or
futbol, Holy Week or Semana Santa, a nap or la siesta, parties or las fiestas,
and bullfighting or la corrida de toros. Even though Abby and I have tried not
to be tourists, we have wanted to make sure we do and see the traditional things
of Spain. Before this weekend, we had seen or done everything except going to
an actual futbol match, experiencing flamenco, and attending la
corrida de toros.
This past week, one of our
friends asked if we wanted to go with him to la corrida de toros. Before he
asked us to go, we had been completely fine with not attending a bullfight for
several reasons. First, neither Abby nor I are fans of violence. Second, we had
heard it was relatively expensive. Third, we had not thought it was happening
while we were in Spain. Well, we were wrong about the second and third reasons,
and were asked to go.
The ironic thing about the la
corrida de toros during the month of May is its association with the
celebration of Madrid’s Patron Saint, San Isidro. San Isidro was a hard-working,
devout, God-fearing daylaborer during the early Twelth Century. Besides being
the patron saint of Madrid and farmers, he has nothing to do with bulls. However
when there is an opportunity for a fiesta, the Spanish put everything together.
This past Sunday night kicked off the San Isidro festivities and we were invited
to attend the bullfight.
We hopped on the Metro at
5:30pm to meet at the arena at 6:00pm. When we walked up and out of the metro
stop, the arena loomed large overhead. Completely made of bricks in the
Neo-Moorish style of the early Twentieth Century, the building is gorgeous.
Lobed and horseshoe arches decorated the exterior and interior of the building. It
is not as large as the Colosseum in Rome but still impressive, and like the
Colosseum’s beauty which hides the gore inside.
Once our friends arrived we
grabbed our tickets, only five euro, and headed in. Interestingly the price is
determined by two things. First, how close you are to the center of the arena.
This is similar to games in the United States. Second, tickets are more
expensive if you are sitting in the shade. The ticket counter literally has a
diagram of the arena where the shade is located. The seats in the sun longest
are the cheapest. Guess who bought the cheap seats? Good thing Abby brought a
hat and we both had sunglasses.
Once inside we found our
stone slab marked with our number and waited for the event to begin. This also
reminded me of the Colosseum because the people are packed together. The girl
in front of me literally sat between my legs and I was sitting between the legs
of an old man behind me. I definitely prefer the somewhat crowded space of
Wrigley Field.
There are three parts to a
bullfight. First, the “tercio de varas”, a group of matadors tantalize the bull
with their capes. The bull runs back in forth trying to thrust the matadors but
the matador moves and the bull only thrust the cape. For me this was the most
interesting and exciting part of the whole fight. The bull is fresh and running
well. It is amazing to see the strength and speed the bull has. After a few
minutes the bugel rings and two picadores, or riders on horses, enter the ring.
The horse is completely blindfolded and covered in armor. The matadors lead the
bull towards the horse and the picador stabs the bull on the top of its neck
with a spear. These stabs tear and weaken the neck muscles of the bull making
it extremely difficult for the bull to lift its head. Meanwhile the bull is
trying to gore the horse through the armor. We felt bad for the horse. What did
the horse do to deserve such punishment? During the sixth bull, the bull was so
strong it picked the horse off its feet and dumped its rider at the same time.
Abby nearly cried and I thought about the cruelty to the horse. When I got home
I read more about bullfights and found out until the 1930’s horses did not have
armor. Often during a festival of bullfights more horses than bulls died. To me
it seemed like the whole thing was a waste. When the bugel finally rings again
the “tercio de varas” ends.
The “tercio de banderillas”
is the second part of the bullfight. Now that the bull is wounded, several
matadors come out with barbed sticks. Three different times, these matadors
tantalize the bull by running towards it and then stabing the sticks into the
top of the bull’s neck while the bull tries to gore the matador. This furter
weakens the bull.
The bugel rings and the main
matador re-enters the ring. This begins the third and final portion of the
fight, the “tercio de muerta.” This time, he is carrying the traditional red
cape and sword. I pictured this last portion of the bull fight like this Tom
and Jerry cartoon I saw as a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCIxhJBu_ME.
I was a little off. The bull and matador are not in cahoots. The bull has been
set up to lose. Eventually after the bull is worn out, the matador takes his
sword and stabs the bull through its neck and its heart. If the matador misses
and the bull is still living, which happened several times in our case, the
matador tries again and again until the bull literally falls over and dies.
Otherwise the bull sits down and dies. This also happened several times.
After watching this sequence
happen the first time, I was ready to go home. I was also kind of excited
because I thought we were getting out early. Rather, we found out that there
were a total of six bulls being killed. By the end of the event, we felt almost
numb and accustomed to the fight.
I decided two things after
the bullfight. I like rodeos better. They are more exciting and less harm seems
to be done to the animals. I am thankful I do not have to attend one of these
again. No matter how violence is shaped, I am not a fan, even if bullfighting
is an art form, as Ernest Hemingway has described it. Though this is a
significant part of learning and understanding Spanish heritage, it is one part
I could do without.
Plaza de Toros
Abby before the toros!
"Tercio de varas"
"Tercio de muerta"
A little exhausted
Pablo Picasso's rendition of a bullfight.







My heart is heavy.
ReplyDelete