Lists
We are eagerly anticipating the birth of Lily's first cousin. Baby boy is due in early February and we are so excited to meet him. We are also excited to receive new titles. Aunt, uncle, and cousin!
My sister-in-law asked for advice on items for their gift registry. I created and sent her an extensive list. Thinking more about it, I can narrow the list down considerably and share a few of our favorite things; items that have been invaluable during Lily's first months in the world.
My sister-in-law asked for advice on items for their gift registry. I created and sent her an extensive list. Thinking more about it, I can narrow the list down considerably and share a few of our favorite things; items that have been invaluable during Lily's first months in the world.
1. Breast Pump
Breastfeeding Lily has been a rich experience. There have been some trials, but we have worked through them. I was nervous to return to work at 12 weeks, wondering how that would affect our breastfeeding relationship and my milk supply. My amazing boss and accommodating workplace aided the transition immensely. More practically, my Medela Pump-In-Style has helped me continue to exclusively breastfeed Lily throughout her infancy. Check with your health insurance, as breastfeeding products are covered, thanks to the Affordable Care Act. Don't forget milk storage bags. Medela has some great bags that attach directly and easily to the pump, so you can avoid cleaning bottles every day. However, Lansinoh bags are best. They are bigger and maintain their seal much better than other products.
We chose the City Mini by Baby Jogger for our go-to stroller and jogging stroller. When we tested products, the City Mini stood out because it was very light, and easy to open and close. It was also sleek and aesthetically appealing. From the day we brought Lily home from the hospital, we were able to connect our car seat to the stroller and walk with Lily around our neighborhood. Months later, we strapped Lily in for training runs.
That's not all, folks. We are guilty of owning a second jogging stroller. Alex had his eye on the Thule Chariot Chinook from the moment we found out we were pregnant. You can run, bike, and cross-country ski with the Chinook. It is the Cadillac of strollers and we highly recommend it for the serious athlete parents. (Fortunately, Alex was able to snag the stroller on discount! Phew!)
4. Cloth Diapers
Cloth diapering depends on personal preference and commitment. I can boast that we have had a positive experience with cloth! We have saved a ton of money, and we have cut down on trash. There are lots of brands and options; we love Bum Genius and Flip brands. Detailed comparisons are for another blog on another day. Diaper cream is important too, although cloth diapered babes have less diaper rash issues in general! We cannot use any products with zinc with cloth, so we use a combination of Eco Sprout Coconut Stick and Grandma El's Diaper Rash Ointment.
5. Muslin Swaddle Blankets
Muslin swaddles are awesome. You can use them to swaddle your baby, cover her in the car seat, cover yourself when breastfeeding in public, and so much much more! The softest, most versatile swaddles are from Aden and Anais. There are tons of cute patterns. See Lily's newborn photo below, where she is swaddled my favorite blanket gifted from Land of Nod.
6. Lounge Ware
After Lily was born, I lived in my nursing tank tops and yoga pants. I fully embraced lounge ware for 12 whole weeks. Wait, who I am kidding? Aside from work and special occasions, yoga pants are my life! Lululemon Wonder Under pants will be your best friend from maternity to post partum to hot yoga class 6 months later! Target is the best bang for your buck when it comes to nursing bras and tanks. I was fortunate to get lots of maternity and nursing hand-me-downs from my friend, Jennie. Ask around... there are tons of moms who would love to unload their stashes!
Breastfeeding Lily has been a rich experience. There have been some trials, but we have worked through them. I was nervous to return to work at 12 weeks, wondering how that would affect our breastfeeding relationship and my milk supply. My amazing boss and accommodating workplace aided the transition immensely. More practically, my Medela Pump-In-Style has helped me continue to exclusively breastfeed Lily throughout her infancy. Check with your health insurance, as breastfeeding products are covered, thanks to the Affordable Care Act. Don't forget milk storage bags. Medela has some great bags that attach directly and easily to the pump, so you can avoid cleaning bottles every day. However, Lansinoh bags are best. They are bigger and maintain their seal much better than other products.
2. Baby Carrier
Yes, we are those crazy, baby-wearing hippies! We could not live without our sturdy Four Position 360 Baby Carrier by Ergo Baby. Both Alex and I use it daily to wear Lily around the house and around town. I love the back support the Ergo Baby provides, but I have my eye on a Tula baby carrier for the next time around, simply because the fabric and designs available are so cute!
Yes, we are those crazy, baby-wearing hippies! We could not live without our sturdy Four Position 360 Baby Carrier by Ergo Baby. Both Alex and I use it daily to wear Lily around the house and around town. I love the back support the Ergo Baby provides, but I have my eye on a Tula baby carrier for the next time around, simply because the fabric and designs available are so cute!
3. Jogging Stroller
That's not all, folks. We are guilty of owning a second jogging stroller. Alex had his eye on the Thule Chariot Chinook from the moment we found out we were pregnant. You can run, bike, and cross-country ski with the Chinook. It is the Cadillac of strollers and we highly recommend it for the serious athlete parents. (Fortunately, Alex was able to snag the stroller on discount! Phew!)
4. Cloth Diapers
Cloth diapering depends on personal preference and commitment. I can boast that we have had a positive experience with cloth! We have saved a ton of money, and we have cut down on trash. There are lots of brands and options; we love Bum Genius and Flip brands. Detailed comparisons are for another blog on another day. Diaper cream is important too, although cloth diapered babes have less diaper rash issues in general! We cannot use any products with zinc with cloth, so we use a combination of Eco Sprout Coconut Stick and Grandma El's Diaper Rash Ointment.
5. Muslin Swaddle Blankets
Muslin swaddles are awesome. You can use them to swaddle your baby, cover her in the car seat, cover yourself when breastfeeding in public, and so much much more! The softest, most versatile swaddles are from Aden and Anais. There are tons of cute patterns. See Lily's newborn photo below, where she is swaddled my favorite blanket gifted from Land of Nod.
6. Lounge Ware
After Lily was born, I lived in my nursing tank tops and yoga pants. I fully embraced lounge ware for 12 whole weeks. Wait, who I am kidding? Aside from work and special occasions, yoga pants are my life! Lululemon Wonder Under pants will be your best friend from maternity to post partum to hot yoga class 6 months later! Target is the best bang for your buck when it comes to nursing bras and tanks. I was fortunate to get lots of maternity and nursing hand-me-downs from my friend, Jennie. Ask around... there are tons of moms who would love to unload their stashes!

Comments
Post a Comment