Santa Cruz
Two months later. I was serious when I said I could not
promise consistency.
The months of June and July were filled primarily with
out-of-state trips. As a matter of fact, since late May, we have crisscrossed
the country three times.
First, Alex and I attended a beautiful destination wedding
in Charleston, South Carolina. Love! Two weeks later, we attended a family
wedding (Alex’s brother, Andrew, and my new sister-in-law Joni) in Michigan.
From Michigan, I flew to New York City with the ladies in my family and Alex
drove to Indianapolis for a conference. Two weeks after returning to Visalia,
we flew to Chicago for an Independence Day wedding. Can you tell we are twenty-somethings?
Lots-o-weddings.
Anywho. We are home for a few months, and by home I mean, in
California, not necessarily in Visalia.
August 2 marked our 5-year wedding anniversary. Alex was
asked several months back to speak at weekend retreat for another youth group. I
volunteered to tag along, because who wants to spend their 5-year wedding
anniversary at home? Alone? Plus, the retreat took place in beautiful Santa
Cruz, California, located in Northern California.
After toasting 5 years of wedded bliss at our favorite sushi
haunt, Wassabi Off the Hook, in Fresno, California, we loaded a church bus with
50 other kids (and kids-at-heart) and drove the 3+ hour trip West.
The accommodations included an air mattress in an old church
building, and the food was sub-par. Have you ever vacationed with a youth group
on a budget? Junk food at its finest. Or if you are a dietitian, junk food at
its worst!
However, the excursions were awesome. And they will be the
topic of this adventure post.
On Saturday morning, we headed to the Santa Cruz shoreline.
Specifically, we parked at the Twin Lakes Beach, just South of downtown Santa
Cruz. This a State beach that is free to the public and includes several fire
pit areas. We snagged a spot around a fire pit and set up beach towels, camping
chairs, folding tables, and a large gas grill.
Remember when I spoke about weather in Cayucos? Well Santa
Cruz is about 160 miles North of Cayucos along the frigid Pacific Coast
shoreline. So the weather was not better. Not better at all. I had my swimsuit
on, but I also layered a skirt and towel on bottom, and a 100% wool sweater on
top.
It was also foggy in the morning.
Here’s a fact I learned my first summer in Visalia. When
it’s hot and dry inland, it is most likely cool and foggy at the coast. There
is this phenomenon called a marine layer that affects much of the California
coast in summer months. (Don’t worry, it burns off in the afternoon!)
So far, the best weather I have experienced in the central
and northern coastal areas is September, October, and March. Go figure.
Anyway, we made our beach camp and commenced a day of beach
sports and grilled food. I spent a few hours trying my luck at beach
volleyball. My luck never showed up, but I got a tan on my face and a great
workout in. Alex, on the other hand, is an absolutely beast. Good thing he was
on my team! (The youth we were weekending with called our team “marriage”
because of our awesome synergy on the volleyball court. Alex and I both know he
carried the weight. But I am not a proud woman. I straight up have no hand-eye
coordination.)
I also spent a good amount of time play beach soccer, which
is much more up my alley. I played for four years in college and jump at the
chance to play with fellow futbol-ers. Might have been the only time in the
entire weekend that my shoulders saw the sun. Soccer is a workout. Work. Out!
The other youth sponsors coordinated a big “barbecue” for
dinner. I still cannot get used to this West Coast terminology. Where’s the
barbecue sauce? I think it’s called grilling. But I am a peacemaker so I lay my
armor down and concede.
Anyway, the other youth sponsors fired up the barbecue and
commenced to barbecue burgers and hotdogs for the crew. Sometimes junk food
tastes good. And did I mention I worked out!?
We also took full advantage of the fire pits and roasted
some s’mores for dinner. Delish! Pretty sure s’mores are Alex’s favorite
dessert. And he is so good at roasting the mallow.
Day two consisted of morning worship and many hours at the
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, a California landmark!
Now, this was our second trip to Santa Cruz, and millionth
time at the Central Coast, but it was our first experience at the Santa Cruz Beach
Boardwalk. It was a first and maybe a last, but I don’t want to deter potential
California visitors from trying new things.
To preface the experience, I am more of a Disneyland person
than a Six Flags Magic Mountain person. For about 3 years, I loved roller
coasters. The rest of my 27 years have leaned more toward the ambiance of theme
parks, musical presentations, and water rides that do not involve soaked clothing.
If you love roller coasters and carnival-type rides, the
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is for you. It’s like Magic Mountain combined with
the Indiana State Fair (be still my heart!). There are several big roller coasters,
several spinning rides, and tons-o-carnival foods. There is also a humongous
arcade, for the gamers out there.
We were lucky enough to have the all-day pass, which I would
highly recommend if you like rides. Otherwise you have to worry about having enough
tickets, etc. My top two rides were the old-fashioned carousel and the
space-age bumper cars. Can you see the my style preference peaking through?
The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk also packs a day-long history
lesson. Throughout the Boardwalk are signs and historical tidbits, which date
the boardwalk back to the early 1900s. This part was particularly interesting
and entertaining.
Separate from the Boardwalk is the Santa Cruz Pier. Instead
of gorging ourselves on carnival food, we decided to try our luck at a local
seafood restaurant on the pier. Great choice! We filled our bellies with
delicious clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls. Because who doesn’t love some
good ole San Francisco sourdough?!
Because a meal is incomplete without dessert, I purchased a
funnel cake on the way out of the boardwalk. I was slightly disappointed, but I
think the young man frying the delectable dough was paying more attention to
the cute teenage girls outside than my funnel cake. But oh well. Still a good
purchase, if only one time every five years!
We drove East on Sunday afternoon, bellies full, and hearts
content. And muscles sore! Overall a great weekend and great adventure!
Grace and peace.

Comments
Post a Comment