The Getty
This past weekend, we were invited to join our friend,
Jonna, as she celebrated her 50-ish birthday at the Getty. We said yes, and
revved up Prudence for the 2 ½ hour trip to Los Angeles.
Alex and I only knew of the Getty as an ominous white
structure in the northern hills of LA, right off of the busy 405 Interstate. It
is breathtaking and mysterious to behold. But when you are trying to make a
flight to Indianapolis, or Chicago, or Athens, you just cannot stop.
We visited for a brief two hours with Alex’s parents last
November. It was a precious two hours to be sure! But we barely touched the
surface of all that the Getty has to offer.
This weekend’s visit proved thorough. We explored many new
things during our in-depth, 8-hour visit with Jonna (and company).
Joining us was Molly, Jonna’s lively daughter, and Brennan,
Molly’s “friend” who attends UCLA Law School and happened to meet us there.
Through a few guided tours and general inquisitiveness, we
discovered that the J. Paul Getty Museum is an art museum with two renowned
venues, the Getty Center in Los Angeles, and the Getty Villa, in Malibu. The
Getty Center, where we visited, features European paintings, drawings,
sculpture, decorative arts, and photography.
Highly recommend this place.
First of all, it is free. You merely pay $15 to park (which
is cheap, in our big city experience) and ride a delightful tram to the top of
the hill where Getty sits.
And second, it was specially designed to eliminate what is
known as “museum fatigue.” You know, that drowsy, exhausted feeling you get
after looking a painting after painting after painting in room after room after
room?
I must interject a hashtag here because I am a millennial and
I communicate that way.
#firstworldproblems
Anyway, the Getty was designed in manageable quadrants where
guests browse several paintings or artifacts, then meander into the bright,
Southern California sunshine for a little break. After that refreshing break,
and maybe a latte or snack of grilled ahi tuna, you are ready to take on
another quadrant. And repeat. Honestly, in 8 hours, I did not get bored or
fatigued by the art. I was engrossed in some of the best stuff and yet felt
lighthearted.
My favorite exhibit, of course, was the Impressionist-era
paintings. I am not lying when I say they take my breath away. Claude Monet is
da man.
Another great place to catch these paintings is the Art
Institute of Chicago.
There were several other exciting galleries that we
explored. As is usual of describing art, it is often difficult to describe. And
in order to keep you stimulated and avoid “blog fatigue” I will end here. But
just know, the Getty is a must-go. Jonna, Molly, Brennan, and Alex would concur.
You must go!
Grace and peace. And enjoy some pics!
Some Claude.
A good group.

Comments
Post a Comment