Boot Camp

Our friend Jonna has been plotting a beach boot camp for over a year. She is the same adventurous friend whose birthday we celebrated at the Getty, and who owns that adorable beach house in Cayucos.

A few months ago, Jonna and I discussed our ideal beach boot camp. Potential activities included running, biking, hiking, paddle boarding, kayaking, and Pilates work. Oh, and maybe a massage to top it off. The experience sounded amazing, so I suggested we just do this thing. And do it over Labor Day weekend.

So last weekend, we packed Prudence inside and out. We filled the hatch back with athletic clothes, swimming gear, shoes, tennis rackets, and spare bicycle parts. We loaded four shiny road bikes onto our trusty bike rack. Finally, we piled in. Don (new character to the Butler blog saga who is Jonna’s other half), Jonna, Alex, and I drove west for the First Annual Labor Day Weekend Beach Boot Camp.

We arrived at the beach house in time to catch the end of the Dodgers versus Padres game. The men loved it, the women lounged on the couch and pretended to care. So I say we watched the Dodgers win, but I personally did not “watch” the Dodgers win. And because we needed rest for boot camp, we tucked into bed rather early.

We rose early Saturday morning and suited up for our first activity: the run. Jonna’s dad, who resides at the beach house, drove the four of us to the neighboring town of Morro Bay. He dropped us off at the famed Morro Rock. We started our watches and we were off, running north along the beach, back to Cayucos. It is over 6 miles from Morro Rock to the pier in Cayucos. Each of us ran with a different pattern, but finished at about the same time, right in front of the walkway to their house.

Immediately after scarfing quinoa bowls and drinking coffee, we hopped in Prudence, drove back to Morro Bay and commenced our second activity: paddle boarding. We rented the boards for an hour. It was a great way to explore the enormous bay. I was particularly delighted when a sea otter swam within about 4 feet of my board. It gradually turned into panic, because the little booger stared me down for a good 5 minutes.

Nevertheless, I survived. We all survived.

After turning in our paddle boards and regaining our composure on dry ground, we drove around and picked up various bike supplies. Poor Alex had a difficult time with some of the bike tires.

We also stopped at the Morro Bay Farmer’s Market for our weekend fruits and veggies, and a local fish market for some local halibut to grill. Gosh, I love local spoils. And that night, we “barbecued” the halibut and added some delectable sides like corn on the cob, yam fries, and salad..

Sunday morning we rose early and hopped on our bikes. We rode nearly 15 miles along Pacific Coast Highway North to Cambria, California. Half of the ride includes rugged shoreline, and the other half includes views of rolling hills and grazing cattle. Both unbelievable!

We stopped for brunch at Linn’s, a legendary Cambria restaurant. Each ordered something different, and no one was dissatisfied. Cambria is an adorable Central Coast town with lots of antique shops and restaurants. I have brought several family members and friends here during their Tours des California.

We mounted our bikes after brunch and rode the 15 miles back to Cayucos. And all the while, geared up for our fourth activity.

So far, we were doing great! No injuries to report. However, as we pulled into Cayucos and began to dismount our bicycles, I felt uneasy. I use clip-in shoes on my bike, and usually do pretty well. But like I said, I began to feel uneasy, and as the bike slowed to a halt, my right cleat just would not release. I tipped over and over and over and finally finished totally on the ground on my right side.

!@#$%&

Fortunately, my battle wounds were emotional, rather than physical. Plus, there was no time for crying or resting, because next on the agenda was sea kayaks. Boot camp does not slow down for the clumsy or the emotionally distraught.

So kayaking was my favorite part of the weekend. The two hours we spent at sea were altogether physically exhausting and visually stimulating. And who would have guessed that this nerdy little Hoosier girl would one day enjoy kayaking in the vast Pacific Ocean, exploring kelp beds and rock formations, and chasing sea otters? Seriously, if I ever complain about my California experience, slap me silly.

That night, we decided to shower and gussy-up early so we could attend Mass at the San Luis Obispo Mission, in yet another neighboring town, San Luis Obispo. I think I could write an additional blog post on Mass and the mission and San Luis. It was so beautiful and meaningful. God is so good!

If you thought to yourself, life does not get any better than this. These people are on a lark! Then you are wrong, because it was Labor Day weekend folks, and Monday was a paid holiday! The lark continued!

We rose Monday morning, renewed from communion and a delicious meal downtown. We drove several miles to Montana de Oro State Park for our fifth and final boot camp activity: hiking. Alex’s favorite! Although we were sore from our previous ventures, and we wore the wrong shoes for trekking through sand, the hike was moderate and the view from the top was amazing.

Exhausted and ready for some peace and quiet, we headed home, grabbed a light lunch and began to unwind via massages.

I seriously cannot remember anything after that, because my massage was that good. Kind of scary, since I was the one driving Prudence home to Visalia. I will say this, though. The four of us gathered a few nights later in Visalia for our weekly meal and communally decided to make beach boot camp an annual event.

Because it was that good.

Comments

Popular Posts