A Day in the Life

Looking back, I realize that I have written primarily about the big events in our Spain experience. They are numerous and surely worth reflection. But what about the day to day?

Since this blog is as much for me and it is for you, I believe it only fair to reflect on the menial, so as to remember the experience in its entirety. That includes sleeping habits, eating habits, established routines, and ambiguous deep thought. Because. While every day provides new discoveries and insights to life, every day also includes some pretty normal interactions.

So what do we do? What do we eat? What habits have we formed?

Monday through Friday, excepting festival days, we go to language class. We try to get up early enough for a hot breakfast, but I frequently fail to do so. It’s usually a scramble to eat and then make oneself presentable to the world. Not much different from my routine in California. The morning after depends upon the social life, or lack of social life, the night before.

I aspire to become a grown-up one day. I aspire to be responsible and disciplined and brag about my early morning.

The first few days I went without coffee before school because, although I rose early enough, I just could not figure out the European stove-coffee-espresso-maker-thing. I have burnt several batches. And let me tell you. That stuff is rank.

Thanks YouTube and Molly Hay for the visual demonstration a few days in... but alas. Coffee in Madrid has never really matched the taste of my French press at home. Sigh!

Anyway, after a breakfast of omelets or eggs or oatmeal or toast (in descending order), we head to school. Which is going so very well! From day one, we have been impressed with the school, the professors, and the curriculum. After studying nutrition education and attempting to put it into practice for five years, I am especially impressed with the varied teaching methods at Babylon. There is a lovely mix of lecture, single activities, partner activities, group activities, games, and “teach the teacher” action.

In class, Alex and I have different learning styles. I love to listen and write and then write some more. I also have the habit of talking in Spanish a lot, even if I am unsure about what I am saying. I get a lot of correction from the professor, but I also get a lot of practice. Alex, on the other hand, is a visual learner. He understands by seeing and studying. He also does not like to say something in Spanish unless it is correct. Sometimes these differences are frustrating and we butt heads in class. But in general, it’s a good thing. Between the two of us, we are one completely bi-lingual person!

After school, we come home for siesta. This means eating and resting. One Spanish friend says this is the best part of his culture! And I love love love it! We usually heat up left overs from the night before and then spend time reading, writing, and corresponding with family and friends. And of course, napping!

After plenty of food (physical and mental) and rest, we usually choose an afternoon activity. This may be a hard-core workout in the Retiro or trip to another free venue around the city. Some weeks have been more social than others, just like the ebb and flow of life in California. It has been nice to keep the afternoon free for things that may pop up. For example, in our first week here, we were invited to visit a famous vista in Madrid with some classmates at the last minute. Because we had no agenda, we obliged. The view turned out to be quite fabulous, and we made some friends along the way!

Later in the evenings, we settle in for dinner and homework and sleep.

While we have not fallen in love with Spanish food, we have really enjoyed cooking here. We are eating American food with a twist! We have a tiny kitchen with a small refrigerator, sink, and electric stove. There is no oven, and only a limited number of gadgets. No problemo! I have commenced cooking some dishes that I previously knew in theory, but never really made at home.

Take lentils for example. I dabbled in cooking with lentils this past year, because we love Indian food. In the end, we preferred the hearty flavor and diverse options of cooking with beans. Unfortunately and fortunately, time and space have caused me to cook with lentils daily. And with luck! We have truly fallen in love with our new lentil stew concoction!

I am also cooking with more fresh fruits and vegetables, both out of necessity and out of sheer availability. There is a market on nearly every corner featuring seasonal whole fruits and vegetables grown in Spain. Plus, I have a bit more time now to rinse, chop, and sauté every little morsel. Whole foods take time. But in theory and in practice, they are worth the effort!

And fresh baked baguettes. No explanation needed.

So you see, life is both exciting and normal in Spain. There remains some consternation about our return to the United States in May, but that is conquered through celebrating the here and now. We can delight in the stunning vistas of Spain and the fresh strawberries around the corner and the successful conjugation of a verb.

The stunning vista in week one. 

The stunned. 

Not Spanish food. 

Lentils and our version of tapas. 

Oy vey!

Comments

  1. I told you how to not burn it! You have to watch it and pull it off the burner as soon as the top is full :) I just made some moka here!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Molly! Lo siento! Es verdad. I edited the story a little to give you some credit. You DID show me how to do it. But it still isn't better than my French Press. Maybe it's the beans?

      LYS MUCHISIMO!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I wasn't taken with Spanish food at first either, but I found myself, after leaving Spain, incorporating many more Spanish techniques and tidbits into my cooking. Mainly that means lots of olive oil, more tapas-style dishes, Spanish tortillas, and a few other things :) What I couldn't quite get over was how many hot, heavy, meat-filled dishes the family I lived with ate during the middle of summer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ariana! That's exactly what I hope to take away... in fact we are already mimicking the tapas in our apartment!

      Delete
  3. "I aspire to become a grown-up one day. I aspire to be responsible and disciplined and brag about my early morning".....we all do!
    Loved that honesty and "Between the two of us, we are one completely bi-lingual person!"....is a true example of the two will become one flesh.

    Maybe not having the future all figured out is how we are all meant to live out our daily lives. It does help us focus on some of life's most neglected miracles... the miracles of love, whole food and language. Enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I wrote the "grown up" stuff, because of our many conversation about the transition from college life to working life. You guys were my sounding board through that transition!

      Thanks for the comments. Can't wait to debrief in May.

      Delete
  4. I can hear you guys arguing in class in my mind right now and it is making me laugh. I feel like you have to be loving the amount of veggies readily available and I think coffee is gross and bad for you anyway so perhaps it's a blessing in disguise.

    I miss you guys. I love you guys. Enough to eat lentils with you when you get back... that should more clearly express my affection.

    By the way, October 12th! Mark the date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Daniel! And you would detest the amount of vegetables! Haha! Can't wait to fix you some healthy stuff when we return. And yes, the date is marked!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts