El Retiro
Have you ever sat in your cubicle in the middle of a long
week at work and yearned for a lazy afternoon in the park? You imagine that the
sun is bright and the sky, without a cloud. The flowers are blooming pink,
purple, orange, and red. You can even smell their decadent perfumes. An
accordion player keys a perfect melody.
Well folks, today my working woman dreams came true.
After language class, Alex and I wandered over to the Retiro,
a beautiful park on the eastside of Madrid. The walk from the city center
itself yields historic buildings and sprawling avenues, like the Banco de España
and Paseo del Prado. What beautiful sights to behold!
The park welcomes locals and tourists alike with ancient wraught
iron gates and rows of trees and flowers. We took a few minutes to stroll the
paved and non-paved trails of the Retiro. We stopped by the picturesque
Monument to Alfonso XII and watched families and friends and lovers row little
boats across the lake. It was here we heard an accordion (and a trumpet or two)
playing love songs in the background. I did a double take and asked myself, is
this real?!
We landed at one of the many park benches to read and relax.
More trees. More smells. More accordion. And a bit of vitamin D on my pale
winter arms. Perfecto!
The only thing that would make the day better would you, my
lovely family and friends.
And an ice cream cone!
Of course, trading the office for an afternoon in Madrid’s
Retiro comes with a price. I do miss my office and colleagues and structured
life. I miss the thrill of checking things off of my list. (Sad, but true!) And
I will be back in action later this year! But for now, I welcome a lazy
afternoon in España with my hunk of a husband.
This time is precious.
Banco de España
What a hunk!
El Retiro




I am loving your blog. <3 Retiro. Enjoy those sunshiny days! I'd definitely trade my windowless desk for one of those right about now ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ariana! Would love to know your favorite spots in Madrid? And any day trip suggestions?
DeleteLOVE YOU!
ReplyDelete1) What a hunk.
2) I felt the same ambiguity re: needing things to do.
3) You are going to be a bronze goddess come May 29.
Love you too, sister!
DeleteTO do:
ReplyDelete1. Give your hunk of a husband a big smooch - check
2. Write on your to do list - rest in the park and read a book-check
3. Reflect on the love of friends and family reading your blog- check
Sounds like a pretty darn good work day to me.
There with you in heart and spirit.
Jonna
Jonna, I think you need to celebrate your graduation in Spain!
DeleteYou know I can relate to the yearning to get outside. After all, I work in a bomb shelter. Love you and miss you! Enjoy each experience! And 'hello' to the Hunk!
ReplyDeleteI almost quoted you about the "bomb shelter" thing!
DeleteMakes me want to be there. Are there any/many bicycles? Will you have opportunity to rent/use them to get around a bit?
ReplyDeleteThere are numerous bicycles in the city! We may rent them in Sevilla or Paris?!
Delete