Reflections
This morning, while most of you Americans were snug in your
beds, Alex and I concluded week three of Spanish class here in Madrid. Yep, we
have been in Spain for three weeks! And wow, what a difference three weeks of
intensive Spanish immersion does to a person’s brain! I feel three weeks
smarter, and yet three weeks more confused. Seriously still trying to wrap my
head around the fact that words have a gender! And which words? And why?! See
what I mean about smart yet more confused?!
Argh!
Anyway, as I sit in our apartment and reflect on the experience thus
far, I am overwhelmed with emotion. First, I am grateful my financially savvy husband and the means to live in Madrid. The experience has been incredible. I am grateful for you, our loving
family and friends who shower us with good things, both tangible and
intangible.
Admittedly, I am sad that we will not return to normal life
in Visalia and resume our Tuesday night dinners or late nights out with
friends. I am sad that I will not return to Tulare WIC and use my new Spanish
skills with lactating mamas. (In fact, I was feeling a bit blue yesterday and
called work to say hola!) But despite that sadness, we were was blessed by our time
in California and by so many open hearts in the community of Visalia.
Since I am talking about feelings, a rare occurrence, I will
just go all out and say I am feeling a bit anxious about all things futuristic.
Of course, the future is bright! And options abound! But what. And herein comes
the balance that marriage blesses us with; Alex and I are working through life
together! We still do not know what the future holds, but we are open and ready.
And darn it, we are learning about feminine and masculine
nouns in Spanish so we can better serve people in that bright, but ambiguous future!


With you in your gratitude, angst, and confidence for a future guided by grace. Love you!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dad! I love you too!
ReplyDeleteI was already tearing up when I read your post, and then when I read you dad's response, the tears rolled down my face. Gratitude and angst, probably two feelings that indicate that for today you are right where God wants you.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite lines from a hymn is....
"Grace for today and bright hope for tomorrow. Blessings all mine and 10,000 besides. Great is Thy Faithfulness".
Love the irony of gender differences in Spanish as you Alex work through this part of your lives together. God is very good and he has an amazing sense of humor.
Miss you more than words can express.
Jonna