Barcelona
Hola from Barcelona!
In case you were wondering, we made it safe and sound into
Barcelona this past weekend. And this city is amazing!
It is only because of some technical difficulties that I
have been unable to write during the past few days. You see, we have had a bit
of trouble converting electricity in Europe. Some of the outlets, specifically
in older buildings, do not fit the converter we bought in the United States. After
a few frustrating days in Madrid, we bought a second converter that helps with
larger appliances, such as the laptop. A few weeks ago, I “broke” our new converter when I tried to
use a blow dryer. The blow dryer blew up (literally there was fire!) and the sparkling
new converter was deemed useless. So much for adequate electrical supply in old
buildings!
In Barcelona, we are staying in a wonderful apartment in the
Barceloneta neighborhood! (Barceloneta is one of Barcelona's famous beaches!) The apartment building
also happens to be ancient. We need that second converter for the laptop.
Hence, the three-day silence.
Hence, the three-day silence.
But Alex desperately wants full-screen Pacers highlights!
And I desperately want to write! So today, in an act of desperation, Alex found
an electronic shop in an attempt to rehab the converter. Voila! The only
problem was that the fuse was blown in the converter. Twenty-five cents and a
new fuse later, we are back in business.
Hold up. Did any of the electrical stuff make sense? I went
back to read it and thought, what? Why am I writing about such things?
Lo siento.
Anyway, here I am. Here we are, in beautiful Barcelona.
Barcelona is located on the Mediterranean Sea, in a region of Spain called Catalunya. Catalunya is a very distinct region with it's own language, called Catalan. The language pretty easy to understand because it's a mixture of French and Spanish. Plus, everyone learns Spanish in school. Apparently, Catalunya is trying to separate from the rest of Spain. Happily, this is not a political blog, so I am not even go to go there! Just know, it's a different culture.
There is so much to do in Barcelona! We have been busy these past few days. We have used Rick
Steves’ Spain 2014 guide as our reference for all things historical. We have
visited the touristy Las Ramblas street, where you can walk for miles and
encounter street performers, fruit markets, cafes, and shops. We have
visited Montjuic, where the 1992 Olympic Stadium sits. In addition, Montjuic
houses several famous museums and a lovely fountain, which comes alive at night
with Disney songs and lights. We have also been to the beach twice!
We are really enjoying Catalan food. And we are trying to capitalize on the fact that
we are near the Mediterranean, so most meals have included fish!
When I get home, I must learn how to make paella. I just must.
When I get home, I must learn how to make paella. I just must.
Today we visited our favorite sight in Spain, La
Sagrada Familia. It was so large, and so involved, that I have decided to devote tomorrow’s
blog entirely to the unfinished modern basilica envisioned by Catalan architect Antonio Gaudi.
So stay tuned! Hasta luego!
A beautiful old building.
Heading toward the Barcelona Cathedral (not to be mistaken for the Sagrada Familia)
The bare necessities of life!
Paella
The Olympic Stadium (Remember Barcelona 1992? I do!)
And again...
"Hi!"
Just one of Joan Miro's cool sculptures.
The Magic Fountains
La playa!











How far away is Barcelona from Madrid? If California has to be one state, then Spain and the Ukraine have to figure out how to stay together and get along :).
ReplyDeleteWhen I think paella...I think Alex. That should fill him up for a while.
Pictures are beautiful and make me miss you more.
Jonna
Jonna, Spain is about the size of California. Learning about the differing cultures within regions of Spain has been so enlightening. We can discuss more later!
Delete