¡Fiesta!

If I could choose one word to summarize this past weekend, it would be fiesta!

In true Spanish fashion, which included flamenco and bullfighting, we savored our last full weekend in Madrid.

To start from the beginning, on Friday evening, we experienced our first ever flamenco show with students from Babylon Idiomas. We've heard flamenco is a must while visiting Spain. And it was beautiful! We were impressed by the moves of the dancer; she showed such emotion in her body, both pain and joy. We also enjoyed listening to the classic guitarist. He strummed peacefully in the background, and played a few solo pieces. Enchanting!

On Saturday afternoon, after doing some laundry and lounging, we headed south of the city to visit Lan and Alicia. These are the same two Chinese chicas with whom we spend every day in class and have shared several "native" meals during our time in Madrid. As promised, Lan prepared a Szechuan feast for us. It included 7 dishes that Lan's mom taught her to make before coming to Spain for university.

Thank you, Lan's mom.

And thank you, Lan and Alicia. Seriously, the food was amazing! And super spicy! It was one of those feasts where you have to unbuckle your pants after.

We have officially begun the adoption process.

(Only kidding, they are both like 20 years old.)

On Saturday night, as if we weren't already stuffed to the gills with Chinese food, we attended Sthe’s South African barbecue with our fun Happy Miercoles people. It was another round of unbuckle-your-pants good food, like roasted chicken, ribs, and bean salad. And of course great people! And some African dance videos!

Thanks, Sthe!

On Sunday, we attended church and joined the congregation as they celebrated Pastor Efrain's birthday. Our friend Sandra made the most fantastic cake from scratch and we sang songs in Spanish! It was bittersweet, because after the festivities, we said farewell to some fabulous people at the church who have welcomed us with open arms. I will really miss Mercy, Pastor Efrain's wife. She has been a true encouragement to me here in Spain. Alex and I both hope we have the opportunity to see them again.

Later on Sunday, we said more goodbyes. We said farewell to six adorable toros. Yikes! (You can read about the toros tomorrow, as I have hired a guest blogger to share his experience.)

Until then, farewell! Enjoy some photos of the weekend, since they capture the fun much better than my words.


 The flamenco dance, singer, and guitarist at Traverna Antonio Sanchez

 Flamenco!

 Lan's amazing food!

 Alicia, Lan, and Alex before digging in.

 Me and the girls, sharing some tea and girl talk after lunch.

(No pictures of the barbecue... boo.)

Pastor Efrain's birthday spread! Check out the beautiful cake!

 Happy Birthday!

 Goodbye, Mercy! I love you so!

Sneak peak at our first bullfight experience...

Comments

  1. Wow, I did not realize the Flamenco dancing is in such an intimate environment.

    The Chinese food pictures made my mouth water!

    And finally I think the best name a pastor's wife can have is ... Mercy. God knows they will need alot of that.

    I can't decide what I like better...the pictures of the food or the people. Love that fact that you have embraced both. That is where true spiritual connections are made, when you share people's "heart/soul" food with them. I think that is one reason Jesus often ate with people when he shared with them.

    Enjoy your last week in school and in Spain!
    Jonna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonna, thanks for your comment. I totally agree about the connection between people's hearts and breaking bread. I just read about this in Richard Rohr's book, "Jesus' Plan for a New World" where discusses the sermon on the mount.

      He says, "Jesus never appears to be pushing as such what we call social programs. He is much more radical. He is calling us to a new social order where we literally share table differently!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts