La Sagrada Familia
Yesterday, we had the opportunity to visit La Sagrada
Familia. Have you heard of it or seen pictures? Wow. I am already dreading the
task of describing the experience. How do you best describe art? How do you describe
something so beautiful it takes your breath away?
For memory’s sake, I will endeavour to try.
La Sagrada Familia is a massive basilica located in the
heart of Barcelona. It is dissimilar to other basilicas or cathedrals we have
visited because it is designed by famous modernist architect, Antoni Gaudi.
Although the basilica has the similar cross design of other churches, it
comprises a style architecture which is altogether mathematical and whimsical
and other-worldly.
Gaudi was a pioneer of modernist architecture. Many
buildings throughout Northern Spain display his creative genius. He was
commissioned to design and build La Sagrada Familia at the ripe old age of 41
years. Gaudi spent the rest of his life dedicated to this church, and died
before its completion. In fact, the building has been under construction for over
100 years and is only 60% finished! The estimated date of completion is 2026.
Alex is already planning our return. You are more than
welcome to join!
From the outside, La Sagrada Familia is ominous and
awe-inspiring. In addition to basic greyish stone, there are bits of colored
tiles and stained glass and paint decorating various elements of the church.
Each side of the church has a particular theme: nativity, passion, and
resurrection.
The inside is no less amazing. (And it is the most complete
part of the church.) The ceilings are endless and the flying buttresses have
been replaced by stone trees. Gaudi stated he wanted a person to feel as if
he were worshipping in God’s original sanctuary, nature. Thus, the columns and ceiling evoke the feeling that you
are in a forest, with gentle light breaking through the canopy overhead. Light
trickles through the stained glass and casts a glow on the sanctuary.
Every detail of the church has been well-thought out and
executed flawlessly.
We spent about 4 hours digesting the exterior and interior
of La Sagrada Familia. We could have spent another 4 hours merely sitting and
worshipping in the space. Alex’s quote of the day was, “This is my favorite
church ever.” Quite a lofty statement. But I concur.
Below are some pictures of the outside and inside. I took about 1,000 more with my new Nikon camera.
I recommend
checking out the website dedicated to the church. And if you are
ever in Barcelona for work or play, I say go!
By the way, I am rehashing this amazing experience from a
train. The time has come to say adios to Spain and bonjour to
France!
Started in 1882 and not yet complete.
The nativity story.
The passion story.
Some stained glass amazing-ness!
"Favorite church ever"






I think we are most like God when we create and when we love. So when we love what has been created to honor Him....He must be pleased. Glad you and Alex were moved and blessed. I can't wait to see you guys.
ReplyDeleteJ
This is awesome. I'd love to experience it. Remind me to show you the National Geographic story on this when you return to the States.
ReplyDelete