Time Flies
Yesterday was my last blog about language school. And today
will be my last blog about Madrid. I said it once, and I will say it again:
Wait, what?
My how time flies. We have been in Madrid for six weeks. Six
short weeks, now that I pen the
thought. When we arrived in April, we hit the ground running and never stopped.
We scoured the city for beautiful vistas, ancient architecture, intriguing
museums, delicious food, and unforgettable memories. We found all of it, and
made some amazing relationships along the way. Now, we are tidying our apartment
and packing our bags. Tomorrow, we head out. Our European journey is not yet
over, as we will be stopping in a few places before returning to the United
States, but the living-in-Spain-to-learn-Spanish part is over.
Part of me wants to weep, and part of me wants to jump for
joy. I think I am going to choose the latter.
Why?
First of all, we will be back. Second of all, we are heading
to Northern Spain and France for the next two weeks, which promises to be
ridiculously wonderful. Third, we are then
heading home to friends and family and new possibilities for Kingdom living.
And we are armed with fresh perspective and some resume-building Spanish
skills.
Of course, I may be weeping tomorrow when our train rolls
out of town. But I will keep you posted on my thoughts as we journey through
Northern Spain and France. It ain’t over yet!
Anyway. I said yesterday I would write a bit about San
Isidro, yet another festival in the happy month of May!
If you are thinking these people party excessively, then you
are reading a blog by a tourist in May. May in Madrid is the best month,
according to one of our professors. In addition, to Labor Day and the Community
Day after, May 15 is San Isidro, a week-long festival in honor of this beloved
patron saint of Madrid. Click here if you want to know all about the San Isidro
and the festivities.
Rather than go into extreme detail, because I have already
written more than I ought, I would love to share some photos of the festival, which
included a fireworks display late last night!
Walking through "La Latina" neighborhood to a concert for San Isidro
View from the concert venue, "Las Vastillas"
Spanish artisans show us their craft!
Wish we had room in the suitcase for these great ceramic jars from Toledo.
I just love this.
And this.
We celebrated San Isidro with some true madrillenos, Mercy and Efrain!
Traditional dress for San Isidro
Listening to some Galician bagpipes.
That obligatory firework pic.
That obligatory selfie during the fireworks.














enjoy your last two weeks of traveling! they'll be wonderful - love you two.
ReplyDelete