Strawberries


For as long as I can remember, summertime in Indianapolis has meant the Strawberry Festival. Each year (with or without me), my family ventures downtown to Monument Circle to support Christ Church Cathedral’s annual fundraiser and devours hand crafted strawberry shortcake. It's a thing.

Alex and I were excited to hear that this week’s Indianapolis events included the Strawberry Festival. We marked our calendars.

The shortcake with strawberries and ice cream and whipped cream were delish!

Upon further inquiry, we discovered this is more than just a bake sale. Officially titled Christ Church Cathedral Women’s Strawberry Festival, the event rakes in serious dough, not for the church and its programs, but for the community. According to the church's website, over 95% of the proceeds go directly to local, national, and international non-profit outreach groups.

This church is going beyond its walls; first to provide sweet treats for the city of Indianapolis, and second to fund initiatives at the local, national, and international level.

We also discovered this has been going on since 1965! This was the Strawberry Festival’s 49th year. It has been longer than I can remember. And it is so much more than I remember.

P.S. We arrived before lunch and enjoyed heaping portions of strawberries on our homemade shortcakes. Apparently, supplies ran out in the early afternoon. So plan for early next year, friends!

Following three special people!

 I just love downtown Indianapolis!

Standing in line for some deliciousness!

1 of over 300 volunteers!

California strawberries!

!!!
 
Half eaten before I could snap a picture!

Me and Alejandro

Comments

  1. This festival is awesome. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you guys could go this year !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts