Muffins



This week, I started my new job!

That’s right, you heard it! About three weeks ago, I accepted a position as the Assistant Director of Child Nutrition in Decatur Township, a school district in Indianapolis. As assistant director, I will be working closely with food service staff to provide healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner to students participating in the National School Lunch Program. I will implement federal nutrition policies and ensure compliance with nutrition standards.

I am 4 days in, and each day has been a beautiful blur! Each day has been totally different. I have been exploring the ins and outs of school administration, learning new computer programs, meeting staff, and baking.

Baking!

My first official project is recipe development. Specifically, I am experimenting with 100% whole wheat flour in our muffin recipes. Yesterday, I worked with three different recipes that previously used only All-Purpose flour, and modified them to include at least 51% whole wheat flour, a new standard for school breakfast entrees.

I spent several hours in our test kitchen yesterday. I felt like a contestant on Cupcake Wars! I carefully measured dry ingredients on the digital scale, poured, mixed, and folded. My trusty assistant Deb helped me locate everything and turn on the ovens. I put my various creations in the huge convection ovens and waited.

Blueberry, pumpkin, and banana chocolate chip goodness was the result. I tasted for myself, and offered samples to staff. Deb and I received rave reviews! I also took some home for my family to try. More rave reviews! (See Grandpa Dave below!)

My next step is to rewrite the recipes and convert them to larger portion sizes. And then analyze them for nutrient content.

It has been such a fun first project! And a peak into what opportunities lie ahead for me.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts