Trails
I am pleased to announce that, after a three month hiatus, I have returned to the running world.
After years of soccer games and middle distance races, in March, I completed my first marathon. Lush greenery and rolling
hills in Napa Valley, and a wonderful running buddy, Megan, made for a first-rate
experience. But upon crossing the finish line, I cried tears of joy and pain.
It was one of the hardest things I have ever done.
After returning home, I decided to rest my body awhile and cross
train indefinitely. Since then, I have been walking, bicycling, and occasionally running.
This past weekend, my mom and sister invited me to run the Indiana
Women’s Trail Run. My mom had originally signed up for the quarter marathon distance
(6.6 miles) but was unable to run due to a weekend getaway. My sister was
slated to complete the half marathon. Since the race officials were so accommodating
to the change, I obliged, although I was slightly nervous.
The trail run took place in Eagle Creek Park, which is less
than 1 mile from my parent’s home. It is the largest and most rugged city park
in Indianapolis, complete with a vast reservoir and miles of running, biking,
and cross country skiing trails. As kids, and now as adults, we have spent
countless hours climbing the jungle gyms and roaming the trails of the beautiful park.
About 500 Hoosier women, clad in brightly colored athletic
gear, showed up for this inaugural run through Eagle Creek Park. Molly and I
showed up bright and early and took our places toward the middle of the pack. As
the race started, my jitters dissipated and muscle memory kicked in full force.
We tore up and down trails and stairs, trampled through mud and tall grasses.
We hurdled logs and jutted branches. Before I knew it, I was done, and quite muddy! And Molly, about forty five minutes later, was completing her 13.1 miles at the top of her age division.
What a rush!
I always forget how great endorphins feel until I complete a
good, hard run. It didn’t hurt that there were locally sourced cupcakes at the finish
line!
Today my body is sore, but it’s a good sore. Alex and I will be in Michigan for the next two weeks, and I plan to ride this exercise high by starting a triathlon training. The lake is so inviting, plus I think it’s
time to sign up for something else.
What was once mint green...
Back in action!
Molly is amazing!
Sisters





you guys are beasts!!
ReplyDeleteMegan you are a beast! Let's sign up for a run.
Delete